We are going to walk you through on how to make a soft baby blanket using double-sided Minky and textured Cuddle Fabric by Shannon Fabrics.
|Crafted by Lisa.|
Before you start, you will need one 29" x 30" of Cuddle Fabric in the color of your choice and two 4" x 60" of Minky Cuddle Fabric.
1. Sew two 4" x 60" pieces of Minky together.
2. Then, cut a 30" piece from it.
3. Pin one 30" piece to each 30" side of the blanket body with the wrong side of the Minky up.
4. Stitch the Minky to the Cuddle Fabric using 1/2" seam allowance.
5. Finger press the attached Minky border open.
6. Join the remaining two 4" Minky strips along the 4" edge with a 1/2" seam allowance and finger press seam open.
You should end up with a Minky strip approximately 4" x 89."
7. Measure the top and bottom of the blanket, including the Minky border you just attached and cut two strips of Minky from the 4" x 89" Minky to that length.
8. Again, pin Minky to the top and bottom of the blanket including the Minky border you just attached.
9. Stitch in place using a 1/2" seam allowance.
You have now completed the front side of your cuddle blanket.
10. Bring both side pieces of the Minky border to the back side of the blanket, turn under 1/2" and pin in place at the stitching line.
11. Blind hem stitch the minky border to the Cuddle Fabric at the stitching line.
12. Now, bring the top and bottom Minky borders to the back side of the blanket, turn under 1/2" pin in place and secure with a blind hem stitch.
If the corners are a little bulky, you can trim away a small square from the center of the underside of the border you are currently working with.
13. Be sure to leave a 1/2" around the cut out piece. To finish your blanket, whip stitch the corner outside edges closed.
|Double-sided Minky and Cuddle Dimple (border).|
We offer sewing and quilting classes here at our Bonney Lake store to those that are interested in learning how to sew, quilt or learn new techniques. You can view our calendar for the dates and times of the Sewing/Quilting Pick-a-Project classes here.