This project was so much fun to do. I used a plain unfinished wooden box and painted it with chalk paint. I applied brown wax to finish the look, but thought that it needed more style. I saw some adorable vintage looking whimsical scrapbook paper that matched my paint color perfectly and decided to make my box a vintage toy box. My original design for the wood box was very different but sometimes my project takes a life of its own.
One Unfinished Wood Box
Americana Decor Chalky Finish Paint, Vintage color
Americana Decor Creme Wax, White
Americana Decor Creme Wax, Brown
One Scrapbook Paper
Two Plastic Embellishements
- Paint the box with Americana Decor Vintage Chalky Finish. (Vintage is the color name).
- Allow to dry - this does not take long at all.
- Sand the edges to remove color in the desired areas.
- Now apply the white creme wax. Rub in to the paint with a soft cloth.
- Apply brown wax and wipe off to get the desired coloring you want.
- Use Mod Podge to glue the scrapbook paper to top of box. Also apply Mod Podge to the top of paper. Allow to dry.
- Apply the paint to the two embellishments. Allow to dry.
- Apply brown wax to embellishments and wipe off for desired coloring effect.
- Also apply brown wax to the Mod Podge covered paper on the top of the box.
- Glue the embellishments to each side of the box and allow to set up.
That's it! The project is really easy to make.
Here is a project using the same Vintage color wax. As you can see this color looks very different without the brown wax.
This paint also cleans up easily with water. Enjoy!
Visit our website for great projects and inspiration.
Visit us on facebook, we love it when our customers share photos of their projects!
Visit us on Pinterest for more great inspirational crafts.
Ben Franklin Crafts and Frame Shop
21121 Hwy 410, Bonney Lake, WA 98391