The purpose of this day is to encourage and celebrate reading on the birthday of Dr. Seuss, one of the most beloved children's authors of all time.
In May 1997, a small reading task force at NEA came up with a big idea. "Let's create a day to celebrate reading," the group decided. "We hold pep rallies to get kids excited about football. We assemble to remember that Character Counts. Why don't we do something to get kids excited about reading? We'll call it 'NEA's Read Across America' and we'll celebrate it on Dr. Seuss's birthday." And so was born on March 2, 1998, the largest celebration of reading this country has ever seen.source: National Education Association
Create this easy Dr. Seuss bookmark to help get kids excited about the reading event.
Ben Franklin has all of the supplies for this project and many more!
- Momento Summer Sky Stamp Pad
- Stazon Cactus Green Stamp Pad
- Package Pre-made Bookmarks (you may also make your own from cardstock)
- Striped Party Straws
- Blue Mini Boa
- Red Striped Bakers Twine
- Hole Punch
- Tacky Glue
- Printed Dr. Seuss Quote (Create saying on computer and print)
- Rub the blue stamp pad on the top part of the bookmark. Allow to dry for a few minutes.
- Now rub the green stamp pad on the bottom of the bookmark. Again, allow to dry.
- Glue to quote on to the left side of the bookmark.
- Glue the straw down to the bookmark.
- Tie a small section of the fluffy boa into a knot and trim off the rest of the boa.
- Glue the fluffy blue boa piece down at the top of the straw. Allow to dry.
- Using a paper hole punch, punch a hole at the top of the bookmark.
- Now attach a piece of bakers twine and tie in a knot.
Thanks for visiting our blog.
Visit our website for great projects and inspiration.
Visit us on facebook, we love it when our customers share photos of their projects!
Visit us on Pinterest for more great inspirational crafts.
Ben Franklin Crafts and Frame Shop
21121 Hwy 410, Bonney Lake, WA 98391