This Seaside Cake Stand would not only make a stunning centerpiece for a beach-themed wedding but a beautiful display for a party or your home.
|Crafted by Billie Jo.|
- 2 Round Wooden Plates or Plaques
- Wooden Candlestick Holder
- Decorative Net
- Acrylic Paint
- Ceramcoat Crackle Medium
- Staple Gun
All supplies for this project can be found at our Bonney Lake store.
Here is a before image of the wooden plates that were used for this project. The smaller plate was the base of the cake stand and the larger plate was the top to holding and displaying items.
1. Using a strong bonding adhesive, glue a small to medium round wooden plate or plaque to the bottom of the candlestick holder.
2. Glue a medium to large round wooden plate to the top of the candlestick holder.
3. Set aside to let dry.
Now, we are going to apply a crackle paint finish so choose contrasting colors. We recommend selecting a bright or dark color, then layering a white or light color on top.
4. Using the paintbrush, apply the color of your choice to the entire stand and let dry.
5. Once dry, apply a thick coat of the Crackle Medium to the entire stand.
6. Wait for the medium to become tacky (just before it starts drying so it's still wet), then apply a white or light paint over the top. Within minutes you will see the paint begin to crackle.
7. Let the stand dry.
8. Select the seashells of your choice and begin gluing them to the base of the stand.
As that dries, let's start decorating the net.
9. Using string, tie beads of your choice in size and color to different areas of the net.
This will give it a small pop of color to accentuate the colors of your stand.
10. Using a staple gun, staple the net around the bottom of the top plate.
If you don't have a staple gun, you could use glue to adhere the net from the bottom or even around the edges of the top plate. Using the staple gun will save time and be less of a mess.
For more projects, visit our Project Gallery on our website here.